Friday, July 15, 2011

Vimeo Weekend Project - Handmade Portraits

I haven't created a joint Vimeo account yet but using my own account I was able to at least find out this weekends project. It's called "handmade portraits" and basically it's like a mini documentary or vignette about someone who does or makes something. Some of the examples they used were a video of someone who knits hats and scarves and another woman who paints and lives in some sort of artist community. Here's the link...

http://vimeo.com/blog:425

All entries are due on Tuesday. If we want to pursue it, I had three different ideas...

The first one is pretty good but just not possible this weekend. A friend of mine from BGSU, his mailman actually makes his own electric guitars. From what I hear they're pretty unique too. Unfortunately, he's on vacation and not around for a couple of weeks.

My second idea is a little opportunistic. We've kind of talked about it before but essentially it would be a short interest piece about us and our passion for making movies but struggling with reality, busy schedules and the everyday experience. It could be fun but more importantly be re-purposed to use as a kind of "about us" piece for future endeavors. We could even splice in footage of our old movies.

Lastly, my other idea would be completely fictional and satirical. This is the softest of my ideas but it could be about a fictional new-age artist who makes really crumby work and tries to sell it; or it focus on a royalty free musician (a guy who makes all the ultra generic and stale music you can buy online for $20); or maybe... I don't know, like I said, it's the least fleshed out idea I've had. It has potential to be really fun though.

Even if we can't swing it this weekend, if we've got a good idea we should follow through with it later. Plus, sometime they repeat topics so you never know when we could enter it again...

6 comments:

  1. I really like all ideas and honestly the latter seems like we would have the most fun as we would get to flex our creative muscle. The piece about us and our struggle to make movies could also be fun and insightful to us and ironically it would get us together to make a damn movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all the ideas sound good; and I have to agree a piece about us would be fun and insightful. Maybe something we could really use to look at who we are as artists. Really bring down the microscope to who we truly are, what we represent and why. I have seen some filmmakers make docs about themselves and way too often do I feel a sense of selfishness and big egoism behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I say lets do it. Even if we have to shoot it in a day which considering the deadline I'm sure we'll have no choice. It'll get our crazy selves together and like you said John 'bring down the microscope to who we truly are'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. So the question is is everybody available on Saturday or Sunday? I'll need a little heads up so I can grab the gear we need...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys want to get together tonight? Is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm at home all day. Even if it becomes too late to shoot anything tonight I still think we should hook up to script and possibly storyboard for a Monday night shoot. That will give us Until midnight on Tuesday to edit and post...

    ReplyDelete