Wednesday, July 27, 2011

New Gear - Nikon D5100

Yesterday I bought a Nikon D5100. Although I have access to equipment from work I thought as long as we're buying a DSLR, why not get one that shoots 1080p video. It will prove pretty useful for spontaneous shoots where I may not have immediate access to equipment from work.

In many ways the Canon T3i is a superior "video" camera but seeing as how I was already committed to Nikon, because of the lenses and accessories that I already own, it's not a bad deal. Here's an example of it's potential...

Fragments from Nikon France on Vimeo.


It looks pretty darn good. But it'll still take some mindful film making and better lenses. Check out the "making of"...

Making Of Fragments (English Subtitles) from Nikon France on Vimeo.


I will looking at accessories over the next couple days and can't wait to start shooting.

4 comments:

  1. I think that I'm going with the same nikon. Maybe. It all kind of depends if I can somehow get deal with a telephoto lens with the t31 and if its just a hundred dollar difference I will get a t3i. At the moment I have not found any info about a mic jack for t3i. Im sure it does; but I can't seem to confirm it. Maybe call somebody up here in the week. Having one would just so helpful and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still playing around with the D5100. I know already that it's not as "user friendly" as the Canon 7D. But it's half the price and I guess that's to be expected. I have not used the T3i yet (I do know that it does have a stereo Microphone jack). I've rolled with a T2i in San Francisco but not enough to really learning anything about it.

    I'm still trying to figure out the exposure on the D5100. So far I've learned how to "lock" the AE (Auto Exposure) but I'm beginning to think that there isn't a way to straight-up set the exposure manually (for video). Although it's not an absolute deal breaker, it's does suck pretty hard.

    I'm still looking for ways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confirmed. There is no way to control either the exposure or the ISO on the D5100. However there are a couple of groups that are campaigning, writing Nikon and telling them they should release a firmware update that will allow users to control exposure and ISO. Maybe they will throw in a histogram too?

    http://vimeo.com/forums/topic:37873

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive seen some videos of the 7d in action and its controls. I see you can save 500 clams from amazon prime. And you do get a lens. I know jessica wants a new digital camera to take better pictures with; i think for the price of the nikon i will get one as well. It is something to have for both purposes and we will at least get buy with still great quality video. At this point in the game; you can't honestly that between nikon and canon any of their video is garbage. They have made video quality already beyond my expectations compared to any of the cameras we've used in the past. In the days where some of our only options of moderately priced camera was the gl2. Looking back; the dslr cameras we look at today are way ahead of that.

    ReplyDelete